Based on the current situation present in Nigeria, a lot of Nigerians are willing to immigrate to Canada from Nigeria ones they are provided with the right opportunity. Are you one of them? If Yes! Then you don’t have to worry because you are on the right track to successful immigration.
Immigrate to Canada from Nigeria
The main reason we decided to put up this article is to explain some important steps Nigerians need to take when immigrating to Canada from Nigeria this year.
For many Nigerians, immigrating to Canada presents a wealth of opportunities not available to them in their home country. Political stability, a thriving economy and internationally recognized schools are all factors that make Canada a top destination for Nigerian immigrants.
Canada has a lot of immigration programs already in place to help immigrants migrate to Canada. We understand that you might be wondering why they created so many programs. Well! The truth is that. This immigration programs have different requirements and demands. Some of them were setup to be point based while the rest are employment based. You are required to carefully go through them and decide the best fit for your personality.
What Are The Options For Immigrating To Canada From Nigeria?
Broadly, the options are:
- Federal Economic Class.
- Provincial Economic Class.
- Quebec Immigration.
- Business Immigration, including the Start-Up Visa Program.
- Temporary Residence First, Then Transition To Permanent.
- Family Class Sponsorship.
The Below list explains the top three ways you can immigrate to Canada from Nigeria
3 Ways on How to Immigrate to Canada from Nigeria
1. Qualify for an Invitation to Apply Via the Express Entry System
Express Entry (EE) is a Canada online immigration application system that allows people to submit a profile and be qualified as a skilled immigrant. As a Nigerian candidate, you are expected to be among the highest ranking to be invited to apply for Canada permanent residence.
The express entry program is the most preferred and used immigration routes by foreign migrants including those from Nigeria. Express Entry organizes and processes applications for Nigerians who wish to immigrate to Canada from Nigeria and acquire Canadian permanent residence later in future.
This online program enables you as a foreign skilled worker from Nigeria become a Canadian permanent resident through three federal immigration pathways:
- Federal skilled worker program
- Federal skilled trades program
- Canadian experience class
Requirements for Canadian Express Entry
- As a Nigeria, you must have at least one year of working experience in your skilled occupation.
- You must be proficient in either English or French language.
- You must have a valid post-secondary education that must be equivalent to that of Canada.
The above list is just the minimum requirement needed to apply for the express entry program. Meeting with this doesn’t qualify you for automatic invitation but it does provide you with an edge over others that do not meet with it.
Note that there are lots of candidates applying for this same program through express entry. So those candidates with stronger profiles will be selected first over candidates that meet with the least requirements.
How to immigrate to Canada from Nigeria with the Express Entry system?
After meeting with the minimum express entry requirements, you will be required to create an online profile which will require the below information.
- Your passport documents
- Language test results
- Education credential assessment report
- Certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province
- Proof of work experience
- Provincial Nomination
60 days grace period will be given to each candidate to complete their online profile. if more than one candidate has the same lowest score, the cut-off mark will be based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.
Now, after sorting the most preferred candidates, they will be placed in a pool known as the express entry pool. This is where they will be issued a comprehensive ranking system score which will determine their ranking in the express entry program. After completing this step, you will be offered an invitation if you score high and meet with the cut off mark. Receiving the ITA means that you have the opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residency.
2. Through Provincial Nomination
The Provincial Nominee Program comprises of a set of different Canadian immigration programs operated by the Government of Canada in partnership with individual provinces, each of which having its own requirements and ‘streams’.
This program is for workers who:
- Have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory
- Want to live in that province, and
- Want to become permanent residents of Canada
Each province and territory have its own immigration programs that target certain groups and their requirements. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target:
- Business people
- Skilled workers
- Semi-skilled workers
Also Read: US Government Jobs Available For Immigrants With Visas
3. How to Immigrate to Canada from Nigeria Via Studying in Canada Through postgraduate work permit
The post graduate work permit is for foreign students that must have graduated from a designated learning institution in or outside the Canadian environment. With this the help of PGWP, you can secure a work visa which is actually the open work visa to work for any employer in Canada depending on the length of your study program in Canada.
This visa does not guarantee for direct application for permanent residence but it will give you an advantage when seeking for Canadian permanent residence. Even studying in Canada will certainly favor you when applying for your Canadian visa to live in Canada.
Requirements for post graduate work permit program
- Must be above 18years of age.
- Must be a graduate from a post-secondary school in any Canadian province.
- Must have completed a study program at a Designated Institution in Canada
- Must have studied in Canada as a full-time student for a minimum of 8 months
- Must have a valid study permit when applying for work permit
- You will be required to send the application for work permit within ninety days of your graduation
With the help of PGWP, you can apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class as you already have a work experience of at least one year in Canada especially if your study program was for three years.
How much does it Cost to Immigrate to Canada from Nigeria?
The cost of immigrating to Canada from Nigeria is generally about $2,300 CAD for a single applicant, or about $4,500 CAD for a couple. This amount will also vary depending on which program you are applying through.
Keep in mind that this total does not include the settlement funds that most candidates must show to be eligible for Canadian immigration; this amount will vary by family size, starting at around $13,000 CAD for a single applicant.
Some other unpopular ways on how to immigrate to Canada from Nigeria are
- Applying the job of a caregiver or farm worker
- Getting a job offer from atlantics Canada
Hope This information was useful.