Would you like to obtain a visa to study in Australia as a student, then you are at the right place. In this guide we shall be explaining what Australia Student Visa Guide is all about and the Process, Requirements, Age Limit, and a lot more you need to know.
Australia Student Visa Guide
In this Australia Student Visa Guide, we shall be explaining the following;
- What is an Australia Student Visa?
- Upcoming Intakes in Australia
- Top 20 Australian Universities
- Eligibility & Documentary Proof
- How to Apply for a Student Visa?
- Cost & Processing Time
What is an Australian Study Visa?
An Australian study visa is a temporary visa, that enables you to remain in Australia for the duration of your study.
According to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, all international students planning to study in Australia are now required to apply for a visa under Subclass 500 and this effectively combines the erstwhile subclasses 571 – 576 into one.
Upcoming Intakes in Australia Study Visa
Australian universities Always have two intakes every year:
- First Intake: Extends from February/early March to late May/early June
- Second Intake: Extends from July/early August through to November
The first intake is usually treated as the main intake by most Indian students. The best thing to do is to prepare for the next upcoming intake.
Top 20 Universities in Australia
Australia ranks as per the following among the Top 500 universities in the world, according to the QS World University Rankings 2020,
|Rank in 2020||University|
|29||Australian National University (ANU)|
|38||The University of Melbourne|
|42||The University of Sydney|
|43||The University of New South Wales (UNSW)|
|47||The University of Queensland (UQ)|
|86||The University of Western Australia (UWA)|
|106||The University of Adelaide|
|140||University of Technology Sydney (UTS)|
|207||University of Newcastle|
|212||University of Wollongong|
|224||Queensland University of Technology (QUT)|
|274||University of South Australia (UniSA)|
|291||University of Tasmania|
|377||James Cook University (JCU)|
|383||Swinburne University of Technology|
|400||La Trobe University|
|484||University of Canberra|
Documentary Proof Required for an Australia Study Visa
You will generally need the following basic documents while applying for an Australia Student Visa.
- The Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment as proof of admission into a college or university.
- A valid passport.
- Your visa application fee.
- Your GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) statement.
- Academic and work experience documents.
- Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses like tuition fees, living expenses, living costs for dependents, and return airfare.
- Details of OSHC health insurance policy.
- Statement of purpose.
- Passport-size photographs.
You will also be required to provide additional documents like parental consent if you are under 18 years of age.
Application Process For Australia Student Visa
You have to make sure that you meet all the requirements before you fill up the Australia Student Visa application.
To fulfil the requirements, you would need to :
- Meet Australian study requirements: You have to be enrolled in a full-time course ( undergraduate, masters or Phd) to be able to apply for a student visa. The course must be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses. for Overseas Students (CRICOS). The university will provide an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate which will serve as proof of enrolment.
- Meet Language Requirements: Authorities need to know that you have adequate language abilities. You can display this by taking a language proficiency test. The following tests scores are acceptable:
- International English Language testing system (IELTS) : 5.5-6
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) : 46
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) : 42
- Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) : 162
- Occupational English Test (OET) : A ‘b’ for each test component
- Have a Genuine Temporary Entrant (gte) statement: This will state that your only intention is to study in Australia, and that you plan on returning.
- Have adequate health insurance: In the event of something happening to your health in Australia, the authorities need to know that you will be able to pay your own healthcare bills. You usually have to purchase an Overseas Student Health Cover to prove this.
- Meet health requirements: You must be in reasonably good health, and have no major illnesses that show up during medical tests.
- Meet character requirements: You are only eligible to apply for a study visa if you do not have a criminal or terrorist background. You must have a clean record.
Cost/Fee Requirements for an Australia Study Visa
International students are required to pay visa fees as per the category they fall in below.
|Visa Subclass||Base Application Charge||Additional Applicant Charges if 18 Years or Above||Additional Applicant Charges if Less Than 18 Years||The Subsequent Temporary Applicant Charge|
|Student Visa(Subclass 500)||AUD 620||AUD 460||AUD 150||AUD 700|
|Student Visa(Subclass 500) (Subsequent Entrant)||AUD 620||AUD 460||AUD 150||AUD 700|
|Student Visa(Subclass 500) Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector||Nil||Nil||Nil||Nil|
|Student Visa(Subclass 500)Postgraduate Research Sector||AUD 620||Nil||Nil||Nil|
Average Tuition Fees & Course Costs for Indian Students
These are the average tuition fees per year for international students according to the official government site.
- International Undergraduate Students – AUD 15,000 to AUD 33,000
- International Postgraduate Students (Masters Degree) – AUD 20,000 to AUD 37,000
- Doctoral Degree – AUD 14,000 to AUD 37,000
These figures however do not include high-value courses like medical degrees or veterinary science. They cost significantly more.
Also Read: Study in America Without IELTS or TOEFL in These America Universities
Australian Student Visa Processing Time
Usually, the Australia Student Visa is processed within a month, however, the maximum time it could take is 3 months.
However, Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) streamlines the visa processing time. Processing Time for Student Visa is:
|Stream||75% Processing||90% Processing|
|Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector||20 days||26 days|
|Postgraduate Research Sector||39 days||77 days|
|Independent ELICOS Sector||23 days||38 days|
|Vocational Education and Training Sector||36 days||52 days|
|Higher Education Sector||17 days||32 days|
Since the SSVF process has been streamlined, the standard time taken is anywhere between 4 – 6 weeks. This also depends upon the education institution and outstanding documents can always be requested if required and desired by the visa officer.
It is recommended that you apply for the student visa at least 12 weeks before the day of orientation at the educational institution.